Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, August 21, 2009

Diaper & Wipes Pocket

This project is the perfect solution for scrunched up diapers at the bottom of the diaper bag, or a toddler who no longer needs a full diaper bag. It's also very easy, so it's a great project for beginners. Put some travel wipes and a few diapers in it and it makes a great baby gift!
**This tutorial is for personal and gifting use, please don't sell any that you make. **

What you will need:
1 fat quarter each of 2 coordinating fabrics (or 1/4 yard each)
2 pieces (1- 9"x11"; 1- 9"x15") Heavy weight fusible interfacing
1 3-inch piece sew-on Velcro

Put it all together:
Cut one 9"x15" rectangle and one 9"x11" rectangle out of each of the fabrics. Iron interfacing onto the lining pieces. Take the two larger rectangles and measure up 11" from the bottom. Mark this spot and measure 1 1/2" from the sides. Mark this point.

Now, use a compass to draw a half circle between these two points. Cut the fabric along the line you just created, so that your fabric looks like this. Pin and sew these two pieces right sides together. I find it easier to have the heavier weight fabric (with interfacing) on bottom when sewing them together. Remember to leave an opening at the bottom to turn it right side out! Next, pin and sew the small rectangles together in the same way: right sides together, leaving an opening at the bottom. Clip corners. Turn right side out and press, being sure to fold the raw edges from the openings in. You now have your front and back pieces. Pin and sew these together with the outside fabric touching. You're just going to sew down both sides and across the bottom. When you sew the bottom, remember to catch the raw edges. It's a good idea to reinforce your stitches at the top on both sides. Measure in 1 1/2" from each bottom corner and cut this 1 1/2" square out. This next step can get a little confusing, but you can handle it! :)

Hold one side seam and the bottom seam and match them up. This should create a line where all the raw edges match up. Pin together. Make sure your seams are going in the same direction so that it will lay nicely. Repeat this on the other side. Sew along the raw edges. I sew this seam twice to make sure it's sturdy. This is what it should look like:Turn right side out. You're almost done!

It's a good idea to put a travel container of wipes and a few diapers inside at this point. Pin the Velcro pieces in place. Remove the diapers and wipes. Sew Velcro on.



That's it! Wasn't that easy?
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you make your own Diaper & Wipe Pocket, please send me a picture. I love getting to see other's projects!

8 comments:

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Great project! and great tutorial!

I also wanted to let you know that we are featuring your blog today at http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2009/08/featured-friday-wednesday-afternoon.html

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

LOOOVE this!!! I am making at least one of these for me and a couple to give away to friends!!! I am featuring this on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com in a day or two. Grab my "featured" button!

Floralshowers Craft Blog said...

I LOVE THIS! Saw you over at One Pretty Thing...
I tried making these about a year and I failed miserably. Not very good without a pattern so this is fantastic!

Thanks

Anne

mimi's Needle and thread said...

I love this idea, I have a blog too, I am new at blogging I want to learn how to do these tutorials so I can help others learn to do the projects I make also...keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Very practical and nice!

Alison said...

Thanks so much for these instructions. I don't think I could make a diaper bag that looked good enough to carry, but this will work great tucked into my Zosephine!

L2L said...

happen upon your blog by a search. love the way this is made and perfect timing as I have a diaper bag to make for a present and think I will just have to add this in. Also love the way you do the boxing, this seems so much easier than marking the fabric and then trying to line the marks up to get the seam correct. I'm wondering why I never thought to cut the square before instead of after. Will have to let you know how it goes!!!!

Unknown said...

If you don't want to spend much on diaper bags, Its easy to make them at home. You just need to do a little effort.
honest diaper reviews